Friday, May 8, 2015

Hobby-induced ADHD and my Nautical Crochet Starling Handbag

     Hey y'all!  Thanks for reading today!  Starting this blog has really made me examine all of the different hobbies and interests I have in order to gain a clearer direction of what I want to share here. I read somewhere recently that Charles Dickens once said "I could never have done what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time." Yeah, so- Charles Dickens and I do not share DNA.  I do not lack determination or diligence, or even order.  Punctuality I'm only so-so with.  Concentration on any one subject for an extended period of time, however, is nowhere in my wheelhouse.  So, the conclusion I've come to in my examination of myself is that I have hobby-induced ADHD.  It's the only plausible explanation I can come up with. I don't have one passion, I have a hundred. 
       I've been feeling the call of my yarn stash over the past few days.  It's been a couple of months since I've even picked up my crochet hooks and I almost can't stand the- well, guilt- that I've felt.  To assuage that guilt, I'm starting a new project, and introducing you to an old one. I first have to tell you that I love Alice Merlino's blog www.futuregirl.com.  I especially LOVE her Starling Handbag!  I made one last year and I have been dying to make a new one since (alas, I refer you back to my hobby-ADHD as a reason for having not made another since.) I love how quickly the beginning of this project works up.  An hour and ago it looked like the photo on the left.  Now I've finished the bottom panel and have begun the first row of the sides:

Unfortunately, the sides take longer than a few hours since this bag is built with hundreds (depending on the size it could be thousands) of single stitches.  To save you the suspense, I'll leave off with the beautiful nautical version that I made last year.
      I'll update as I make progress!  If you try the pattern as well, please post a photo in the comments!  I'd love to see it!  (Also, if you try the pattern- watch her video tutorials for the entire bag.  She's amazing, and makes it easy enough for a novice!)  Happy crocheting!!!   

2 comments:

  1. Punctuality, order, and diligence. Like you I'll say yes to one of those traits.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete